Friday 26 October 2012

MIRACLES OF NATURE



After a few months of compulsory break (Mumbai rains ) I have again started my morning walk.

My early morning walk is one of the activities of the day I thoroughly enjoy.
It is quiet,no traffic,no crowd very few people on the streets mainly morning walkers,milkman on cycle,newspaper distributors and few people leaving early for work.

It is at this time I witness the miracles of nature.The cool breeze touching my skin,birds chirping and the sun getting ready to spread its wings.I witness the seasonal changes of the trees and shrubs,Few trees are in full bloom,few fruiting,few have shed their leaves and on some trees leaves changing colour.Many times I am walking on a carpet of flowers ( mainly peltophorum ) and sometimes I stop in search of flowers whose fragrance I just smelled.

As I take my morning walk I see the world with new eyes.

Today as I was walking all of a sudden  I noticed a tree in full bloom.When I stopped  to observe it the tree was Alstonia scholaris also known as saptaparni.( if you wonder how I know the botanical names let me tell you I design landscapes.).

I have seen this tree many times in many places,it is very common in Mumbai but never in full bloom.I was so thrilled.standing near the tree I could smell the fragrance of the flowers.What a beautiful start to my day.Later in the day when I had time I went and clicked photos of the tree.

Alstonia is a beautiful evergreen tree with greenish white flowers.Its common name in Sanskrit is saptaparni because of the seven lance shaped digitate leaflets at the end of the stalk.The name alstonia is after the Scottish botanist Charles Alston and scholaris because the wood is used to make slates and blackboards.

It will be nice if everyone spends time alone in nature and while you are there in nature remember that you too are part of this miracles of nature.




No comments:

Post a Comment